Pages

Who and What We Are

Xerography Debt is a review zine for zine readers by zine writers (and readers). It is a hybrid of review zine and personal zine (the ancestor to many blogs). The paper version has been around since 1999. This blog thing is are attempt to bridge the gap between Web 2.0 and Paper 1.0. Print is not dead, but it is becoming more pixelated.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

In My mailbox Repost

Yello,

I'm Jeff of The Inner Swine, who also writes a column for XD and thus, against all logic and good sense, is allowed to post here. Since this blog was started I wondered what in the world I should post, and was encouraged to post ANYTHING. One suggestion was to repost the "In My Mailbox" posts I usually put up on alt.zines. Don't know what alt.zines is? Good for you. You're better off.

Anyways, IMM is just a list of zines I got in the mail that day. It's not meant to be formal reviews, even if a stray opinion sneaks in sometimes.

-------------------------------------------------
IN MY MAILBOX 5-5-08
Hola,

Happy Cinco de Mayo. I will be drinking my weight in beer later in honor of this largely corporate-created holiday. I love the corporate holidays because they always revolve around drinking irresponsibly.

Anyways, over the course of some time I have received the following goodies in my PO Box:

- Maximumrocknroll # 300 ($4, mmr, POB 460760, SF, CA 94146-0760; maximumrocknroll.com). If they ever change a single thing about MMR, I will weep--it is perfect as it is. Included in this issue is the standard bad review of TIS.

- OFF-Line #43 (free, Claire E. Cocco & Vincent J. Romano, 35 Barker Ave #4G, White Plains, NY 10601). This is the "White Plains: City of Dreams" issue, where they take an in-depth look at their adopted home town. I like that idea, to be honest. If I did that in Hoboken it would be all about the bars. I'm not even sure if there are other types of businesses here.

- Zine World #25.5 (free to subscribers, POB 330156, Murfreesboro TN 37133-0156; www.undergroundpress.org). This is a cool idea, keeping those reviews fresh. There's a good one of TIS in here too. The Singularity will be the day when every zine in the universe contains a review of TIS simultaneously, and we will all rise up into heaven.

- Fringe Five (No price, Lane Robbins, 12908 Borgman, Huntington Woods, MI 48070). Note that the letter I received with this zine has a different address on it, so I can't be 100% sure which one should be used. The inside cover declares that this issue "...covers my travels in New Zealand and Australia, as well as the time I spent at Green Gulch Farm..." It's bound with the simple expedient of wrapping a rubber band around folded pages, which I've never seen before and which appears to work nicely.

- The Ken Chronicles #7 ($2, ken Bausert, 2140 Erma Drive, East Meadow, NY 11554-1120; passscribe@aol.com). Another digest-sized blast of perzine goodness from Ken.

That's it! Aside from a letter from a prisoner who's been trying to get a copy of TIS for months now, with each issue returned for various reasons. I find this eternally frustrating, especially in those rare occasions when a prisoner has actually given me stamps or money, as this guy has. I mean, damn!

L
J

No comments: